Cheap Car Insurance for Students, Teens or Young Drivers
Any young person, and particularly students and teenagers living on a very tight budget, will always be on the look out for cheap car insurance. What they should look for is low premiums with discounts if possible to get the most out of this necessary evil.
Several factors come into play when they are applying for cheap insurance and the following should point the young person in the right direction.
Money Saving Ideas for Car Insurance Policies
- If the student has parents, they can normally be absorbed into the existing policy that the parent has. They have to be living at home to access this – or at least list the parent’s home as their primary place of residence.
- Some insurance companies have cheap car insurance for students that keep a good average grade. If the student, for example, has a mean B average or above, the cost of insurance will be discounted. This not only is a great deal, it is also a good incentive for the student to keep his grades up. Expect to get between five and ten percent discount for a good grade every year.
- The type of vehicle that the student or young person drives, plus whether he has any traffic violations, will affect the rates he has to pay. Where the car is driven and the mileage also comes into play here.
- If the student is driving the car at college, and by this it means in an urban center, then the rates will be more. Small towns and rural areas are less dangerous in the insurer’s eyes and all this will be reflected in the premium.
- New vehicles have ratings and some will attract huge insurance premiums. For example, a very powerful sports car being driven by a young person or student will have enormous premiums attached to it. The reason for this is that young people do not have the experience to drive powerful cars and may well end up in accidents at some point.
- Some vehicles will be more expensive to insure than others. Check this out before buying the car since an older, less powerful model may well give the cheapest insurance for young drivers. Ever wondered why VW Beetles are so cheap to insure?
- Look around among several different insurance providers and ascertain when the student is considered to be a reasonable risk. Twenty five seems to be the magic age but some companies will go as low as twenty three before they give cheap auto insurance.
- Another way to qualify for cheap insurance for young drivers is to take some driver education courses. It stands to reason that the more lessons someone has, the safer they are likely to be on the road. This is also good for parents who worry about their children while they are away from home. Expect to get up to fifteen percent off for this action.
When searching out which insurance company offers the best rate for young drivers and teens, try to compare several quotes at once and see which one best fits the situation. For those who only drive to school at the beginning and end of any semester, it may be a good idea to get temporary cover of up to one month.
If they don’t need the car while they are in college then there is absolutely no point in them having a full one year cover which will be idle for most of the time.
Lastly, and this goes for all drivers of motor vehicles, never be tempted to drive even short journeys without the necessary insurance cover. This could prove to be exceedingly costly if an accident occurs during this time.